Written by Mariem ELTagoury
Got an eye for editing? Are you a young person with a passion for writing? Want to have your writing read by a real audience of young people like you? Looking for a fun experience doing something you love?
If so, Cairo Contra is currently accepting applications for the Copy Editor position.
Responsibilities include: making sure the publication has no errors in spelling or grammar and that there is no libel, then publishes and schedules the articles. Editors are required to be available for editing on a daily basis online. Every editor has the right to a column and will be able to choose their own topics and set their own hours for writing.
Applicants should have a strong command of English. Study of IGCSE AS English, knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, HTML and/or WordPress is a plus.
Why Work with CC?
This is an excellent opportunity if you’re interested in journalism and want to expand your writing portfolio and get your name out there. CC editors will walk away with editor & leadership experience and improved web writing skills.
Perks of being a CC writer include having a fun job and networking. Also, since this is an online position, you’ll be able to work from any location and choose your own hours.
How to Apply?
If you’re interested in writing for Cairo Contra, send an email to [email protected] with “Copy Editor Applicant” as the subject, including the following:
- Samples of your writing within a 500 words limit.
- A description of yourself in 100 words.
- A list of topics you’d like to blog about – think if you were to write a column, what would you like to cover? We are looking for fresh ideas so the more creative and unique the better.
- Whether or not you have experience in Adobe Photoshop, HTML and/or WordPress
- Information about any other relevant experiences that make you qualified for the job.
You will also have to undergo a written test and an interview. We just want to make sure you’re perfect for the job! CVs and cover letters are traditional and boring, and we highly appreciate creativity so give it your best shot and show us your colourful side.