Written by Mariem ELTagoury
Want to contribute to the rising Cairene entertainment online Magazine written by Cairene youth just for Cairene youth?! Good news; we’re now accepting! If you’ve wanted to get involved here at Cairo Contra, read on for all the details!
We will be accepting applicants from 15/5/2016 till 15/6/2016.
Who we’re looking for?
The ideal candidate would be young Cairenes from high school, college or fresh grads, passionate about what they write about, responsible, hardworking, self-motivated, creative, and organized. Preference will be given to candidates with prior blogging/writing experience, topic-related or not. (Personal blogs count!) Applicants should have a strong command of the English language (spelling and grammar are very important) and must be able to handle writing on a deadline.
Editors’ responsibilities include: making sure the publication have no errors in spelling or grammar and that there is no libel, summarizing, publishing and scheduling articles. Editors are required to be available for editing on a daily basis online. Executive editor has the right to a column and will be able to choose their own topics and set their own hours for writing. Copy Editor can write about any of the topics available on CairoContra.
Executive Editor: The executive editor is responsible of the first round of the editing cycle. He or she usually writes larger stories and helps the Editor in Chief with the cover headlines that must be short, sweet and catchy.
Copy Editor: He or she makes sure the publication has no errors in spelling or grammar and that there is no libel, publishes and schedules the articles.
Why join Cairo Contra?
This is an excellent opportunity if you’re interested in journalism and want to expand your writing portfolio and get your name out there; if you want to truly explore the field of this career; or if you take your writing hobby seriously and are will to commit to deadlines to advance your skills.
CC editors will walk away with editor & leadership experience and improved web writing skills. CC writers will walk away with improved web writing skills.
Perks of being a CC team talent include having a fun experience and networking. Also, since this is an online position, you’ll be able to work from any location and choose your own hours.
How to Apply?
If you’re interested in joining Cairo Contra; send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Editor” as the subject, including the following:
- Samples of your writing about your chosen topic within a 500 words limit (include at least one related photo) in an attached word document.
- A description of yourself in 100 words. (please include your age and school/college/major/job)
- A list of ways with which you’d like to tackle your chosen topic creatively.
- Information about any other relevant experiences that make you qualified for the position.
- If you are applying for Executive Editor include a list of topics you’d like to write about – think if you were to write a column, what would you like to cover? We are looking for fresh ideas so the more creative and unique the better.
- If you are applying for Copy Editor include which topics you’d like to apply for – if you want to write while editing – and a list of ways with which you’d like to tackle your chosen topic creatively.
- Please, include whether or not you have WordPress experience.
You will also have to undergo a written test and an interview. We just want to make sure you’re perfect for the job! CVs and cover letters are traditional and boring, and we highly appreciate creativity so give it your best shot and show us your colourful side.
*N.B: The positions mentioned above are internship/volunteer work, with experience as the main goal of these positions. The Cairo Contra Team does not offer salaries or any stable monetary rewards for that matter.