Written by Alaa (aka Lols)
Summer vacation is almost over. August is upon us and a lot of college students are already dreading the new semester. How will I cope? Will I fit in? Will I remain in the status-quo or change within it completely? Are people going to be friendly?
A lot of questions run through our minds short one very important question: How am I going to change for the better?
I’ve talked way back in April about how college life is all about second chances and how we as students, should take on that second chance in life. In one of the points I discussed, I said “You can be whoever you want to be”. That’s super true; except that whoever you want to be is not necessarily the person you ought to be.
Here’s a quick guide to making “you” a more evolved and better person.
5 easy ways to evolve in college:
1. Don’t be afraid to explore new sides to yourself. The keyword is “explore”. Expand your boundaries. Break your safety bubble. Get to know your limits because only then will you get to know what you’re capable of and who you truly are.
2. Engage in a lot of activities. This is a point I explored in my previous entry but it is so important I can’t stress enough about it. By engaging in activities, you get to see how malleable you are, how strong you are, how charismatic you are…in short, you get to dive deeper into your own psyche and discover your strengths and weaknesses. Use those activities to your advantage!
3. Don’t limit yourself to your field of study. If you have the option of auditing other classes –not necessarily in your faculty even- audit them. Listen to what other people in other fields have to say, how they think and how they perceive the world around us. I can guarantee you this alone will get you thinking and changing.
4. Read, read and read. By reading and losing yourself in books and different genres, your head, heart and soul will connect. You’ll start relating to different situations in the books that could actually help you in your real life and thus, giving you a characteristic that otherwise, would not have been given to you have you not read about it. In other words, reading helps you evolve and shape a new mentality for you to acquire and make use of.
5. Let loose and have fun. I think this bullet point speaks for itself. It’s okay to party once in a while, to let loose and just break out laughing. How will this help you evolve? Well, the atmosphere alone will make you develop a “fun” side to you that way; you won’t just rely on your bookish serious college side to get through life. You’ll get to learn that your fun side is as strong as your academic one.
We’ve talked about the changes. And yes, you will all go through changes; positive and negative ones. The question that remains; will all these changes work out for you? Will what makes you tick remain the same?
Something to think about…
Your thoughts matter!
I hope you all enjoyed reading this piece of article and in the spirit of creating a space that is for you and by you; I encourage you all to leave a comment with your thoughts and what you want to read about next or send us an email on email@example.com